Grilled whole fish is a summer favorite in the Mediterranean. Sea bass is lovely on the grill; its firm white flesh holds up very well. If you can’t get sea bass, substitute red snapper or striped bass.
|CAL/SERV||YIELDS||PREP TIME||COOK TIME||TOTAL TIME|
|305||4||0 hours 10 mins||0 hours 12 mins||0 hours 25 mins|
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 whole sea bass, cleaned and scaled (about 1 1/2 lbs each)
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 large oregano sprigs
- Prepare charcoal fire or preheat gas grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, from 1 lemon, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. Cut half of the remaining lemon into slices, and another half into wedges. In a small bowl, stir lemon juice and peel, oil, chopped oregano, coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Make 3 slashes on both sides of each fish. Sprinkle inside and out with pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Place lemon slices and oregano sprigs inside fish cavities. Place fish in a 13″ by 9″ glass baking dish. Rub half of the oil mixture over the outside of the fish; reserve the remaining oil mixture to drizzle over the cooked fish. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease the grill rack; place the fish on the hot rack. Cover grill and cook fish for 12 to 14 minutes or until fish just turns opaque throughout and the thickest part flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning fish over once.
- To serve, place fish on a cutting board. Working with 1 fish at a time, with a knife, cut along the backbone from head to tail. Slide a wide metal spatula or cake server under the front section of the top fillet and lift off from the backbone; transfer to a platter. Gently pull out the backbone and rib bones from the bottom fillet and discard. Transfer the bottom fillet to the platter. Repeat with the second fish. Drizzle fillets with the remaining oil mixture. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition (per serving): About 305 calories, 40 g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 15 g fat (3 g saturated), 0 g fibre, 730 mg sodium