Grilled whole fish is a summer favorite in the Mediterranean. Sea bass is lovely on the grill; its firm white flesh holds up very well. If you can’t get sea bass, substitute red snapper or striped bass.
|CAL/SERV||YIELDS||PREP TIME||COOK TIME||TOTAL TIME|
|305||4||0 hours 10 mins||0 hours 12 mins||0 hours 25 mins|
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 whole sea bass, cleaned and scaled (about 1 1/2 lbs each)
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 large oregano sprigs
- Prepare charcoal fire or preheat gas grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, from 1 lemon, grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. Cut half of remaining lemon into slices, other half into wedges. In small bowl, stir lemon juice and peel, oil, chopped oregano, coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Make 3 slashes in both sides of each fish. Sprinkle inside and out with pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Place lemon slices and oregano sprigs inside fish cavities. Place fish in 13″ by 9″ glass baking dish. Rub half of oil mixture over outsides of fish; reserve remaining oil mixture to drizzle over cooked fish. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease grill rack; place fish on hot rack. Cover grill and cook fish 12 to 14 minutes or until fish just turns opaque throughout and thickest part flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning fish over once.
- To serve, place fish on cutting board. Working with 1 fish at a time, with knife, cut along backbone from head to tail. Slide wide metal spatula or cake server under front section of top fillet and lift off from backbone; transfer to platter. Gently pull out backbone and rib bones from bottom fillet and discard. Transfer bottom fillet to platter. Repeat with second fish. Drizzle fillets with the remaining oil mixture. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition (per serving): About 305 calories, 40 g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 15 g fat (3 g saturated), 0 g fiber, 730 mg sodium